Thursday, May 3, 2007

LA POLICE TERRORIZE LATINO MARCHERS

I can't believe the lack of coverage on radio, TV and in the newspapers on the shameful and brutal treatment meted out by members of the Los Angeles Police Department to peaceful Latino marchers on the early evening of May 1st. Why is this story so invisible.

Anna Gorman and Stuart Silverstein write about the melee in today's LA Times. And here are some photos of what happened.

Gorman and Silverstein write about what happened to KPCC reporter Patricia Nazario:

"Nazario said she was walking away from riot police when she was hit in the back. Wearing a press pass and holding a microphone, she turned around and told the officer, "Why did you hit me? I'm moving. I'm a reporter," Nazario recalled.Then the officer hit her on the left leg, she said, knocking her to the ground and sending her cellphone flying."I was shocked, trying to scramble to my feet," she said. "At that point, I just started crying…. I just felt totally vulnerable.""

This is a story that The NewsHour must pick up. Also NPR. Also ABC, CBS and NBC. Why are American jounalists so quiet on this one? Why do we have a virtual blackout?

As for the LA Police, is this the American Way? Is this why many Americans want to build the hated Wall? To keep out law-abiding people and keep America a police state? Where is our First Amendment, "the right of the people peaceably to assemble?"

No comments:

Post a Comment