Wednesday, October 20, 2010

EXTEND RETIREMENT AGE AT 60 TO ALL WORKERS

Both The Financial Times and The New York Times have come out in the last few days supporting Nicolas Sarkozy's rash plan to require French workers to work until 62 before they can collect their government retirement payments. This is editorial hubris.

No one should be forced to go to work after age 60. The body slows down and is unable to do the manual and mental work as if it were 30. It was a mistake for the U.S. Congress to require that American workers stay on the job until age 67. French workers are right to protest Sarkozy's un-thought-out and rash plans to apply the same harsh work requirements upon French society.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I'm 57 and retired earlier this year in part because I just couldn't hack it anymore. In addition to just not being as quick to get things done as I used to, I had lost all ambition and incentive to keep doing what I had been doing for 31 years. Enough is enough already. And manual workers are in even a worse position! No way would I be able to do physical work that I would have been able to do 20 years ago, or even 10.

    ReplyDelete